Now the fried chicken with creamy gravy is one of my favorite recipes of all time. It is not a hard recipe to make, and so tasty when done. I really do love the smell of chicken frying in the kitchen, and the smell of gravy simmering on the stove as well.
I was once asked if it would be easier just to fry the chicken, and my answer to that is yes, I suppose it would be. However, if I want something different from time to time, to prevent me from getting bored from always making the same dishes, this is only one of my go-to recipes.
Along with making the creamy gravy, I also love to make my homemade biscuits as well. Well, think about it for a minute. If you have creamy gravy you need a way to eat it, so, therefore, that is what the biscuits would be for. I suppose you could also use bread, but it is just not the same for me.
Fried chicken with Creamy Gravy
- 1 roll paper towels
- 1 quart freezer bag
- different size measuring spoons
- 1 large skillet with a lid
- 1 fork or tongs for turning the chicken
- 1 plater
- 1 small bowl
- 1 whisk ot hand mixer
- 1 strainer
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 3- lb broiler or fryer cut up
- ¼ cup flour
- salad oil
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup light cream
- First, you need to wash the chicken, and pat it till dry with the paper towels.
- In a clean paper bag or a plastic bag, combine the flour, ⅛ tsp pepper, and1 tsp salt. Now as the chicken pieces, just a few at a time, and be sure to shake the bag until the chicken is well coated. Save any remaining flour mixture.
- Pour the salad oil, or vegetable oil, about 1/4 inch in depth in a large skillet, and heat it slowly. Then add the chicken, and fry the chicken until it is golden brown. Turn your heat down, and cook the chicken covered, making sure to turn the chicken occasionally, until tender or for about 30 minutes. Now remove the cover, and cook for another 5 minutes. (This will allow the chicken to get crisp. Take the chicken out of the skillet and place it onto a platter.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining flour mixture from step 2 with cream and milk until the mixture is smooth.
- Drain carefully all of the fat from the skillet, leaving the browned bits at the bottom. Slowly stir the cream mixture into the skillet. Bring this to a boil, making sure to stir constantly. This allows the browned bits to dissolve, let this boil gently for about 1 to 2 minutes. Season with the salt and pepper to taste.
It’s All In The Presentation of the Fried Chicken and Creamy Gravy
I could probably eat this 2 or 3 times a week. Yes, I do really like fried chicken, and it is even better when it is fried chicken with creamy gravy. Well, as long as it is the white meat, which would be the breasts or the wings. Okay, so now you know one of my secrets. I do not like and will not eat chicken if it is not white meat of the chicken. This has been my preference all my life and not going to change now.
I always make my gravy-like in my instructions and in this video. I never used canned, jar, or powdered gravy mix. To me, gravy is not gravy, unless it has been made the good old-fashioned way. Thanks, mom and grandma, for teaching me to make gravy from scratch.