I decided to post this old-fashioned skillet upside-down cake recipe in memory of my sister Carol Payton-Showes who loved this every time I made it. Since losing her on May 16th, 2021 I have been somewhat in my own feelings and do want to apologize to all my followers of the blog and my friends for being missing in action for a period of time. However, guess what. I am back.
I am sure you will really love making this recipe as much as eating it. Wait till you see how great it smells in your house while it is baking, and how much your family will enjoy it as well. So if you are ready, let’s get to baking. If when baking this cake you see that it is browning too fast, just loosely cover it with foil, and it should be fine.
The History of Grandma’s Skillet Upside-Down Cake Recipe
Grandma’s Skillet Upside-Down Cake Recipe has been passed down through generations of our family. It’s a classic dessert that brings back fond memories of Sunday family gatherings, holidays, and special occasions.
Our recipe is sure to tantalize your taste buds with a combination of fresh, local ingredients and comforting, home-cooked flavors. Whether you’re looking for an easy way to start learning to cook or are searching for the perfect traditional family recipe, Grandma’s Skillet Upside-Down Cake Recipe will bring the warmth of the home into your kitchen.
Skillet Upside-Down Cake Recipe
- 1-10 inch skillet
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 mixer or hand mixer
- 1 large bowl
- 1 can opener
- 1 small bowl
- 1 toothpick
- 1 large serving plate
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 20 oz can sliced pineapple
- ½ cup chopped pecans this I usually leave out, because I am allergic to nuts. So if you have a nut allergy, please leave this out.
- 3 large eggs room temperature separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Melt the butter in a 9 or 10-inch ovenproof skillet. Add the brown sugar, and mix well until the sugar is melted. Drain the pineapple, reserving about ⅓ cup of the juice. Now arrange about 8 of the pineapple slices in a single layer over the sugar. If not allergic and using them sprinkle the pecans over the pineapple and set this aside.
- Now in a large bowl, you want to beat the egg yolks until they are thick and a lemon yellow color. Slowly add the granulated sugar, and be sure to beat really well. Blend in the reserved pineapple juice and vanilla extract. Blend in the flour, salt, and baking powder. Slowly add to the batter making sure to mix really well.
- In the small bowl, you now want to beat the egg whites at high speed until you have stiff peaks formed. Now you can fold this into the batter. Spoon this into the skillet.
- Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back out clean. This should be about 30 to 35 minutes. Let this sstand10 minutes before flipping over onto the cake or serving plate. Now you can place the cherries into the middle of the pineapple slices.
This skillet upside-down cake is really a fantastic recipe to make. For a change of pace, you can also substitute fresh or frozen peaches for the pineapple in this recipe. The cake is really so delicious, tasty, moist, and will absolutely melt in your mouth, and I know your family and friends will enjoy it as much as mine does and has in the past. So while you are here and if you happen to have a little time on your hands, why not take a look at our Strawberry Shortcake recipe as well?
It’s All In The Presentation of this skillet upside-down cake recipe
I constantly say it is all in the presentation, and It definitely is. Who wants to even try a recipe that does not look appetizing? I know! Not me.
So be sure to make this old-fashioned skillet upside-down cake, and do all you can to make it look as delightful as possible, and your cake will surely be a show-stopper. It is really a very easy cake to make, and feel free to experiment with some of the ingredients.
Well folks, there you have it. Try it and I am sure you will love it. Family and friends will really enjoy this cake, and it never goes out of season. Make it and try it and please leave me a comment below, and let me know what you think of it. Thanks for stopping by! See you later gators!!