The strawberries for the strawberry shortcake are in season usually from April to June. This is the best time I believe for you to highlight them in a really pretty cake such as this one. I cannot wait for this to get done!
A strawberry shortcake is a relatively simple and easy cake to make. It does take a little work to make it really attractive, however, it is worth the time and effort. I could have left the strawberries off the top of the cake, or out of the center and just placed them on the top, but that is not the way grandma taught me to make it.
In order to keep it a true family recipe. I decided I should stick to the recipe, so the only tweak I made was adding the strawberries to the center layer of this strawberry shortcake.
The Correct Way to Store Strawberry Shortcake
Fresh strawberry shortcake is a classic dessert that is often overlooked. To keep it tasting great for longer, there are some simple steps to follow. The first is to store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
If you want your strawberry shortcake to last even longer, you can freeze it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and store it in the freezer for up to two months. With these tips, anyone interested in learning how to cook can enjoy this delicious dessert!
- 2 9 or 10 inch cake pans
- 1 wooden spoon
- 1 toothpick
- 1 wire rack
- 1 knife
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 potato masher
- 1 electric mixer or hand mixer
- 1 cake plate or serving plate
- 1 pkg 18.25 ozs white cake mix
- 1½ quarts fresh strawberries
- 1½ cups whipping cream
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup confectioner's sugar
- Pre.heat the oven to 350F. Now prepare the cake according to the package directions. Grease and then flour the two cake pans, and pour the batter into the pans. You should bake the cakes until a toothpick that you insert into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 20 to 25 minutes. Let the cake cool completely on the wire racks.
- You should reserve about 10 large strawberries to be used as a garnish for the cake. Then slice the remaining strawberries, and place them into a medium bowl. Sprinkle the strawberries with the granulated sugar. Mash them slightly with a potato masher. Let this chill until you are ready to assemble the cake, for at least 30 minutes.
- Whip the whipping cream in a medium bowl with the electric mixer on a high speed until stiff peaks have formed. Then add the vanilla, and the confectioners sugar, and continue beating this cream until it is mixed.
- Now place one cake laiyer on the serving plate, and cover with the mashed strawberries. Then top the strawberries with 1½ cups of whipping cream. Now place the second layer on the top of the whipping cream. Spread this layer with the rest of the whipped cream. Garnish this layer with the remaining strawberries.
If the cream for the layers of the strawberry shortcake is accidentally whipped too long and turns really buttery. No worries. Just use a whisk to blend an extra tbsp or a tbsp and a half to lighten it up. Don’t add more than a tbsp at a time, and whisk till you get the correct consistency.
Sorry, everyone. I guess when I was fixing this cake, I should have stabilized the camera. Well, you live and you learn. Do not try to spread cream or mash strawberries, and try to hold a camera with the other hand.